Associate Partner and Notary Public
Profile & expertise:
James works from our Bexhill office in our Private Client department. He speciaises in estate administration, will drafting, powers of attorney, trusts, taxation and Court of Protection work.
James is also a Notary Public undertaking all types of notarial work.
James is a member of the Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners (STEP), an associate member of Solicitors for the Elderly, and a member of the Law Society Private Client Section. James has a particular interest in trust work and taxation and is always looking to broaden his experience in these areas. He is a trustee of several trusts, regularly administers estates as executor, and acts as attorney and deputy for his clients.
He has an excellent reputation in the Bexhill area and comes highly recommended by professional advisers.
James trained with Menneer Shuttleworth, quickly becoming a salaried partner. Meneer Shuttleworth merged with Heringtons in 2014 and James was appointed as an associate partner in April 2016.
Outside the office:
Most of James' (vanishingly small) spare time is dedicated to improving his marathon running personal best. He ran a personal best of 2 hrs 33 mins in the 2016 Amsterdam Marathon. His goal is to go sub 2 hrs 30 mins.
James' local business contacts say of him:
- "James has been so helpful and professional in advising my clients over the past few years. He has the ability to display a wealth of knowledge and give guidance in a clear and concise way that clients find so reassuring.I have no hesitation in recommending him." Jeremy Over of Spectrum FS
- "I have been associated with James through my firm for over 5 years. He is one of the best private client lawyers I have worked with in over 30 years in the legal profession. His technical skills are of the highest order and he has a first-class client manner." John Atkinson of John Atkinson Financial
James' clients say of him:
- "I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for looking after my mother's affairs so diligently and efficiently, both before and after her death. I know that both my mother and my sister were and are grateful to you for this." (P Farrow)
- "James was brilliant throughout. He was understanding but very professional. Will have no problem in recommending Heringtons to anyone." (I Mitchell)
- "James was excellent from start to finish and I will recommend him whenever possible." (R Howlett)
- "I would like to thank Mr Mountford and his colleagues for the way in which they dealt with my aunt's estate. The service provided by all at Heringtons was not only efficient but also very sympathetic and was much appreciated by us all. (N Cloute)
- "Very satisfied with professional level service." (D Keir)
- "I would like to thank you for the excellent service and efficiency you provide. Your advice and help has been most appreciated. I have no hesitation in recommending you and using your firm for all my legal needs in the future. As an individual James I would like to offer my highest recommendation to Heringtons for the professionalism you display." (B Auguste)
- "Very happy with the service provided by James Mountford. He was polite and very professional. Would recommend Heringtons." (F Hayward)
- "Excellent in every way and most trustworthy." (M Costanzo)
- "I would like to thank you very sincerely for all your help and kindness. You have always been a friendly guide to steer us through this business and give us good advice. We would like to say a HUGE THANK YOU!" (S Clark)
Heringtons is the trading name of Heringtons LLP which is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales (registered number OC374843) and which is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (registered number 569513). Registered office: Bank Chambers, High Street, Rye. TN31 7JR We use the word “partner” to refer to a member of the LLP and our use of that word does not imply any legal obligation beyond that of a member of the LLP. We use the word “lawyer” to refer to any person providing legal services whether or not he or she is a qualified professional. Our professional indemnity insurers are AmTrust Europe Limited of No 2, Minster Court, Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7BB and the territorial cover of that insurance is worldwide